The last year or two has been a tad tumultuous, as some of you know. The end result of everything has been that I no longer live with anyone, as my wife and I are now separated.
While I shared the house with her since the end of January 2013, I had my own bedroom in the basement. It wasn’t an ugly experience filled with you suck! no, you suck more!! conversations, thankfully, but it was one which most likely tried everyone’s patience equally. It’s difficult to actually feel as though you really are your own person when your ex-spouse-to-be¹ is still only a few metres and one floor/ceiling away from you.
New place, new observations:
- I can walk to work in a comfortable 15 minutes
- My physician is far closer than he’s ever been (maybe a 20 minute walk)
- Groceries are on the way home from work (not to mention at least two of the breweries below)!
- And there’s a lot of craft/micro breweries in the area:
- Parallel 49 Brewing
- Deep Cove Brewing
- Storm Brewing
- Odd Society Spirits
- Powell Street Craft Brewery
- Bomber Brewing
- Strange Fellows Brewing
Less is more, and that’s awesome! I’ve pared down to what I actually need, without much of the detritus of a nearly half-century of life cluttering-up the place.
But yet, organising it all is tough sometimes: where does the desk go (which doesn’t even exist)? What do you move or clean first?
At one point, I didn’t yet own:
- tea pot/kettle
- baking pans/sheets
- ice cream scoop (WTF?!)
- toaster [since rectified; photo, right]
- coffee maker/bodum/french press [since rectified]
- nail clippers [since rectified]
- spatulas [since rectified]
- wine glasses [since rectified]
- highballs [since rectified]
- steam iron (but I do have a new ironing board… WTH?) [since rectified]
LifeHacker–style Pro tip: if you don’t have – but need – a broom then substitute… a broom. Essentially, there isn’t one. You’re SOL, Sparky.
Also: this is fatness central, as inside a maximum of three blocks there are two of the breweries, as well as…
- Dairy Queen
- 7-Eleven (open 24 hours, perfect for jelly-babies and/or licorice at 2:45 AM)
- Convenience Store
- Domino’s Pizza
- Little Caesar’s Pizza
- On Lok
- JJ Bean Coffee
- Foreign Auto Parts (20% off windshield wipers this week!)
- a tattoo parlour (seems closed with a note to someone posted on the door about a “new key: see mgnt”)
- at least two gas stations
More thoughts to come.
¹ If someone can come-up with a better Proper Title for that situation, it would be appreciated. [back]